It’s all about mission!
Yes, it’s true. Mission Support is a dollar amount shared from congregations with our synod. Synods and the churchwide organization steward Mission Support to fund ministries within the ELCA and to share with partner ministries such as Lutheran Social Services, campus ministry, outdoor ministry, and ELCA colleges and seminaries. But Mission Support represents so much more than a dollar amount. Mission Support represents our connectedness as a church and our desire to respond to God’s call to love and serve our neighbor in as many places as we can across our nation and around the world. In other words, it’s all about mission! Below are some tips, talking points and discussion questions you can use in your congregation to make the connection between Mission Support and how we, as a church, respond to God’s call and participate in God’s mission. For more information about Mission Support, please contact Victoria Flood or Nick Kiger from the ELCA Mission Support Team.
Check out a whole collection of ideas on who to talk about The Mission in Mission Support by clicking here.
TIPS, TALKING POINTS, AND DISCUSSION QUESTIONS
MISSION SUPPORT- IT’S ALL ABOUT MISSION!
The way we talk about Mission Support is so important –it can make all the difference in helping people make the connection to mission:
- Do your communications (announcements, bulletin messages, newsletter articles) emphasize mission first or money first?
- Do you talk about stewardship and Mission Support as an opportunity for living out our faith or as an obligation/duty?
- Do you share stories about people impacted by ministry or do you focus on the budget’s bottom line?
- Mission Support allows us to act as church together for the sake of the world
- Mission Support is the foundation and the fuel to do God’s work in the world
- Mission Support means we can say “Yes” to the world in ways no individual congregation or synod can by itself
- In what ways is our congregation passionate about serving our neighbors beyond our community?
- What are the ministries stewarded by our synod and by our churchwide organization that connect with these passions?
- How can we share the stories of these ministries with our congregation members so they know how they are a part of making a difference across the nation and the around world?
- Stories of Faith In Action is one resource that shares stories of how ELCA Mission Support dollars are making a difference across the nation and around the world:
- Budget is a another great way to focus on mission first. Narrative budgets bring the ministry of the church community to life. Some resources include: