CLAIM is the synod’s mission table for ministry in metro Baltimore. CLAIM aims to be a vehicle for:
- Collaboration and collegiality among rostered leaders
- Empowering and equipping lay leaders
- Making decisions closest to the point of ministry
- Strengthening congregations in witness and outreach
Why Do We Need CLAIM?
- To provide a forum for cooperative planning among congregations in metro Baltimore. Individual congregations are facing similar issues in isolation, and missing opportunities for shared ministry and shared resources.
- 90% of Baltimore metro congregations are experiencing declining membership. The survival of the ELCA in metro Baltimore hinges on our ability to work together to face comm on challenges.
- In many cases, our congregations no longer reflect the neighborhood in which they are located. Change is difficult. Congregations need additional support and resources in order to adapt and flourish in new contexts.
- Congregations face all of these challenges with decreasing resources. Fewer dollars and fewer paid staff are realities in today’s world. In order to continue Christ’s mission in metro Baltimore, we need to join forces.
CLAIM’s guiding principles
- Jesus is Lord and Savior.
- We are open to God doing a new thing.
- We are God’s tools for transforming people, congregations and communities.
- We are stronger together than we are separately.
- We believe in mutual discernment for God’s mission.
- We strive for relationships of mutual commitment.
For more detail, see the CLAIM Strategic Directions document.
Come take your seat at the table! If you are a member or rostered leader of a congregation in the Baltimore metro area, or you are interested in learning more about CLAIM, please contact Jennifer Arnold, CLAIMCoordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org.